Did you know that an estimated 60% of people worldwide suffer from dental fear? If you have anxiety about scheduling your dental visits, you are certainly not alone. However, if dental fear or dental anxiety is keeping you from getting the professional care your smile deserves, you need to know the help that is available.
Whether it is heart palpitations, sweaty palms or a paralyzing fear of the dentist, you don’t have to just “suck it up” and endure it. In fact, those with true dental anxiety should seek a dentist who is equipped and qualified to change the way you feel about dental care.
What Scares You or Makes You Uncomfortable?
At The Smile Lounge, we understand the common triggers and fears that anxious patients can have surrounding professional dental care, such as the following:
- Severe gag reflex
- Fear of pain or needles
- Aversion to sights, smells or sounds of dental office (latex, dental drill)
- Bad dental experience as a child
- Trouble sitting still (or a physical/mental limitation)
There is no right or wrong answer in terms of what causes your dental anxiety. If your stress level keeps you from going to the dentist, your fears need to be shared.
How a Dentist Can Help
You’ve probably heard of sedation dentistry as the primary tool to help anxious patients. Sedation dentistry can involve oral sedation or oral conscious sedation to foster a relaxed state in the dental chair while still remaining awake. However, sedation dentistry is not the only way we address dental anxiety at our Grand Prairie office.
The Smile Lounge also recognizes the following tactics for lowering your stress level about dental visits:
- Modern dental technology (faster, less invasive and quieter)
- Comfort amenities (wireless Bluetooth headphones, movies, tv, blankets and scented towels)
- Caring and compassionate staff
- Comprehensive dental care under one roof (general, cosmetic and restorative)
- Emergency dental care
- Flexible appointment times
- Affordable payment/financing options
What is it that makes you cancel your dental appointment or avoid treatment altogether? Chances are, we can address it. Call The Smile Lounge today to learn more about how we go above and beyond to create a comfortable and rewarding environment for dental care.
Posted on Behalf of The Smile Lounge